Friday, November 12, 2010

I'm Back!

My doctor said I have a small tear in the lateral aspect of my meniscus (torn cartillage in my knee on the outside), as well as degenerative changes. He isn't quite sure why the medial (inner) side of my knee hurts so much, as nothing shows on the x-rays or MRI, but he doesn't feel the need for surgery at this time.

He shot my knee full of cortisone (OUCH), and it has helped a little.  He also said I should aggressively get back into cycling, and train for the Salt Lake Century ride in May.  From what he sees on imaging, it may be painful, but I won't be doing any damage to the knee, and it should get better over time.

I will see him again in a month for a follow-up, and we'll see how it goes.  I hope to have a good 200-300 miles in before I see him again so I can see how well it is doing.

On that note, I got 18 miles in yesterday... and I hurt today.  :-)  Oh, well.  It sure felt good to get back on the bike!!!!

'... I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike. I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like...'

Oh, and during the last month and a half (since the injury, and I wasn't riding), I gained about 7 pounds back, so I'm back to 256.7 as of this morning.  Time to see those numbers drop again!!!

-PB

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will be checking all comments before they will post, to eliminate spam and vulgar messages. -Papa Bear